Welcome to the Year 5 Class Page for 2022-23
Mrs Gibbs, Miss Eatock, Mrs Goldsack, Miss Carter
We hope everybody has had a happy and healthy Easter break! We are looking forward to the summer term ahead. We will be beginning our new topics of Ancient Egypt, Raging Rivers, Animal Biology, Computing, Shape, Swimming and much more. Read on to find out more.
We will be reading Secrets of a Sun King by Emma Carroll as our class novel. Through this, we will learn about Ancient Egypt. Guided reading lessons will focus on this book as well as additional non-fiction and poetry texts. We will write a range of fiction, non-fiction and poetry pieces in our writing lessons. These will include poetry, letters, diaries, non-chronological reports and explanation texts.
Our Power Maths units this term include:
- Graphs and Tables
- Geometry - Properties of Shape
- Geometry - Position and Direction
- Negative Numbers
- Measure - Converting Units
- Measure - Volume
We have an exciting focus on Biology this term. We will learn about life cycles of plants and animals including humans. We will follow the life stages of a human from fetus to old age.
We will be inspired by Ancient Egypt to produce a range of artwork including 3D models, line drawings and clay work.
Geography and History:
First, we will learn how rivers form and all about UK and world rivers. Then, using the River Nile as the link, we will be learning all about Ancient Egyptian Life. This will be another exciting, gory topic to get stuck into!
Our PSHE units during the summer term include:
- Healthy Lifestyles
- My Emotions
- Relationships & Sex Education
We have three computing units left for the year. These include:
- 3D Modelling
- Concept Maps
- Word Processing
We will continue to use Purple Mash as our main teaching tool. Pupils all have their own log-ins for Purple Mash. It is an amazing resource which children can access from home as well as during lessons if they'd ever like to explore in their own time.
PE & Swimming
We will be swimming each Tuesday morning. Please come to school on Tuesdays in PE kit with your swim kit bag packed. If swimming is cancelled for any reason, we can still do PE as a back up plan. Please remember to bring a swimming hat as part of your swim kit.
Our other PE day is still a Thursday as usual.
How to help your child in Year 5:
- Support your child with daily reading at home and encourage them by ticking that you have heard/seen them read in their home school book.
- Reading records and books are to come into school every day, please.
- Spellings can be practised using the Spelling Shed website without the app.
- Times tables can be practised using Times Tables Rock Stars.
- Encourage them to tell the time on analogue and digital clocks.
- Keep an eye out for posts on this website and also on Class Dojo.